Subject: Re: New color X server available
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/30/1997 07:16:14
Hi Colin,

I just wanted to say thanks and a job well done. I am using the new color
X server and it runs great.  It is really nice to have the up and down
arrows back!  Just for the record, this is on a IIcx running 1.3-ALPHA
with the video-lkm, and the X snapshot is from Dec. 26.  I hope upgrading
to 1.3 (final) will be this painless.

Mark

On Mon, 29 Dec 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> Well, digging through the code, one advantage is that this new one beeps
> at you (well, if your machine beeps on the console, it'll now beep in an
> xterm).  The other advantage is that the new server supports the
> "official" NetBSD X distribution (which is XFree based).  Since the older
> X distribution is no longer really supported (it was X11R6.3 and the X
> Consortium is no more), there may eventually be things in the NetBSD
> distribution which are not backwards compatible with the older
> distribution.  Also, any bug fixes to the X binaries or libraries, or
> whatever will only be made to the NetBSD tree, so there won't be any
> decent way to fix these bugs in the older distribution.  It definitely
> won't be a "downgrade" to move to the newer X distribution.  Keep in mind,
> tho, that the only incompatibility at the moment between the older server
> and the newer distribution is that the newer distribution uses gzipped
> fonts which the older server doesn't understand.  There might be other
> machine-independent improvements in the newer server, but I haven't read
> through the release notes to be sure.  Oh, the newer server has what I
> think might be a better keymap, but you're not likely to notice this
> (except that I think it eliminates the need to use xmodmap to remap the up
> and down arrow keys).

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
   Me & NetBSD: http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/