Subject: Re: serial stuff ad2
To: Bert Koster <aweka@xs4all.nl>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/29/1997 17:33:52
> >You don't want the ADSP tool (sounds like bits of the communication toolbox
> >to me).
> Yes it is, it's the Apple(talk?) Direct Serial Protocol (that's what I'm
> told)

No, ADSP is the AppleTalk Data Stream Protocol. It's the Appletalk equiv.
of a UNIX stream. You have a hose you can fill with data, and a hose
which will shower you with data.

It won't help here for a number of reasons. 1) Netatalk doesn't support it,
and 2) we don't support AppleTalk/PPP.

> >ADSP is a protocol which runs over AppleTalk. You want to use the
> >serial tool (or something like that) to connect out the serial port.
> >The kermittool sounds like a file transferer. You want to first use one of
> >the terminal tools to log in.
> I don't know about the kermittool what it does exacly, but it is also
> part of the comm. toolbox aswell as the serial tool etc. Since the serial
> tool didn't work (as I expected it to) I tried the others aswell (ADSP &
> Kermit).

You'll want the serial tool for the connection tool, and something like
the ANSI terminal tool. kermit is a file transfer protocol, so the
kermittool sounds like it'll send and receive files for you, over an
established connection

> Since I know quit a bit about the MacOs, I don't think (considering the
> reactions on my 'question/statement') the error is on that side.... So, I
> must be doing someting wrong on the BSD side......(Pfffff....)

Try adding "local" to the options on the line in /etc/ttys for this
port. That will tell the system to not wait for Carrier Detect. man ttys
will tell more.

After editing /etc/ttys, run ttyflags to propogate the settings to the
serial driver. You might also need to kill the getty running on the
serial port (so that it notices the "local" setting).

Take care,

Bill