Subject: Re: serial stuff
To: Bert Koster <aweka@xs4all.nl>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/29/1997 14:40:47
> Hello everone

Howdy!

> I want to enter my BSD machine from another mac through a terminal
> emulation app.
> As far as I understand it now, it should be very simple.
> The only thing that's creating some confusion is what cable to use.
> Am I correct in assuming, that the standard serial cable normaly used on
> the mac for local-talk is NOT the one to use (together with let's say
> apple kermittool or apple ADSP) in this context?
> Instead I have to get/create a (special) NULLmodem cable?

Correct. On the NetBSD machine, you need to enable a getty on the appropriate
tty (tty00 for modem tty01 for printer).

A LocalTalk cable, the thing where you put a box on each computer and either
run phone wire or LocalTalk calbes which have three connectors between the
machines, is NOT right.

A null-modem serial cable is what you want.

Fortunatly that's what a serial printer cable is on the Mac.

You don't want the ADSP tool (sounds like bits of the communication toolbox
to me). ADSP is a protocol which runs over AppleTalk. You want to use the
serial tool (or something like that) to connect out the serial port.
The kermittool sounds like a file transferer. You want to first use one of
the terminal tools to log in.

Check out the manual for your comm software. It should be easy.

Take care,

Bill