Subject: Re: no grf on startup/dmesg????
To: None <mr_krak@televar.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/29/1997 14:44:30
Mr. Krak wrote:

> I have recently (Dec 20) installed NetBSD 1.3_Beta on my Quadra 610,
> however when I boot I have no mention of any grf devices in the bootup
> :/

What resolution are you booting in?  Try 640x480 and see if that works.
If it does, you'll need to find a MADHATTER kernel...

> I have tried booting under the Generic and GenericSBC kernels that came
> with the download, and have today downloaded the ghost-priest.gz kernel
> that has had the madhatter patch applied to it, in hopes that it would
> work.  I also tried the madhatter#41 kernel which just hung the
> machine.  I have the dmesg log if you (anyone) would like to see it.

Have you tried this kernel with the MADHATTER patch applied?  Does it
work?

> Could it be that there was something wrong with my initial DL of the
> NetBSD packages??  I had installed it once, and then thinking that maybe
> I screwed something up somehow, reformatted and re-installed it a second
> time and still have no grf...

Not likely.  This is a somewhat known bug, I believe.  We don't have a
good way of figuring out the size of VRAM, I think, so the grf device
match routine appears to break on some Quadras.

> There is /dev/grf0 /dev/grf1 /dev/grf2 /dev/grf3 that were already there
> when I installed but had to grf devices showing, so I went into /dev and
> did a ./MAKEDEV grf0 grf 1
>
> I also saw earlier that someone had asked for the results of a las -algF
> on /dev/grf* sop I did that and got ther permissions as follows
> crw-rw-rw on all the grf's in /dev  ther owner is root:wheel

I'm sure all your device files are just fine.  That's not the problem.
The problem is in the kernel.

> Umm, I dunno what else I can say other than the only other package that
> I have installed is sys.tar.gz (so that I could start learning how to
> compile my own kernels), but I still had no grf before that...

Well, once you've managed to compile your own kernel (which should only
take a couple of hours, plus the learning curve), you can get a copy of
the MADHATTER patch and apply it to your source tree (it's only a 1 line
fix, I think), and then recompile (this'll only take like 5-10 minutes),
and boot off the new kernel.

> I dunno, this is jut getting frustrating to me, any help would be
> greatly appreciated, and to those who have helped me so far, thanks
> again.

See if you can find a copy of the MADHATTER patch.  I know it's been
posted to the list a number of times before.  It should also be available
at the website where you find the MADHATTER kernels.

> BTW:  1.2.1 was working fine before on this machine with X running as
> well, just is now broke under 1.3 :/  Help help help :)

Yeah, I believe that some major changes have been made to the grf autoconf
system since 1.2.1.

I hope this helps.  Let us know if you have trouble compiling your own
kernel.

Later.