Subject: no grf on startup/dmesg????
To: port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mr. Krak <mr_krak@televar.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/29/1997 14:25:21
I have recently (Dec 20) installed NetBSD 1.3_Beta on my Quadra 610,
however when I boot I have no mention of any grf devices in the bootup
:/

I have writen down the following information hoping that it may be of
interest

These are the top lines that are the items that are included at boot
time:

Bootstrapping NetBSD/Mac68k
Faked Range to byte 0x1800000
Bootstrapping the Pmap system
Pmap Bootstrapped
Moving ROMBase 0x4080000 to 0x985000
Moving Video Address 0xf9000080 -> 0xb85000 (that might be 0xb85080)
Copyright..........

I have tried booting under the Generic and GenericSBC kernels that came
with the download, and have today downloaded the ghost-priest.gz kernel
that has had the madhatter patch applied to it, in hopes that it would
work.  I also tried the madhatter#41 kernel which just hung the
machine.  I have the dmesg log if you (anyone) would like to see it.

Could it be that there was something wrong with my initial DL of the
NetBSD packages??  I had installed it once, and then thinking that maybe
I screwed something up somehow, reformatted and re-installed it a second
time and still have no grf...

There is /dev/grf0 /dev/grf1 /dev/grf2 /dev/grf3 that were already there
when I installed but had to grf devices showing, so I went into /dev and
did a ./MAKEDEV grf0 grf 1

I also saw earlier that someone had asked for the results of a las -algF
on /dev/grf* sop I did that and got ther permissions as follows
crw-rw-rw on all the grf's in /dev  ther owner is root:wheel

Umm, I dunno what else I can say other than the only other package that
I have installed is sys.tar.gz (so that I could start learning how to
compile my own kernels), but I still had no grf before that...

I dunno, this is jut getting frustrating to me, any help would be
greatly appreciated, and to those who have helped me so far, thanks
again.

BTW:  1.2.1 was working fine before on this machine with X running as
well, just is now broke under 1.3 :/  Help help help :)

Regards,

Greg