Subject: Re: New color X server available
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Armen Babikyan <synapse@lethargy.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/29/1997 15:40:03
> I've managed to shove Ken Nakata's color X code into the current X
> distribution's server (thanks so much Ken for doing this in the first
> place and then making your code available!).  This server should be able
> to handle the NetBSD 1.3 X distribution without the complications of
> reconfiguring the fonts.  I'm using it right now, and it appears to be
> working just fine.  Please let me know if anyone has trouble with it.

I still run the old Mar95 X software, with a GENERIC kernel and a color
lkm. what advantages/disadvantages does the new X software have over the
old one? (the one i use right now) The reason i ask now is because I
didn't want to "downgrade" to a new X distribution (what makes it
new?) that didn't support color if the old one did.

> Please note, this server does not in any way add extra functionality over
> the previous color X server other than that which is in the current
> monochrome X server (in other words, no, this won't give you color
> internal video support).

Then what is the point of this server (or the new X dist)? i run
1.3_ALPHA; the old color Xserver + lkm + GENERIC work fine on my IIvx.

I think i'm missing something...

  - a