Subject: Re: Shutdown problems
To: John Albers-Mead <jam@jaminc.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/29/1997 11:40:53
John Albers-Mead wrote:

> I'm running into problems trying to shutdown on a IIci.  It used to work
> fine until the whole thing locked up one day and I had to reboot via the
> handy little button.  This is what I said and NetBSD's response:
>
> # shutdown -h now                <-- I typed this
> Shutdown NOW!
> shutdown: [pid 602]
> # mode = 0100644  inum = 1072, fs = /
> panic:  ffs_valloc: dump alloc
> Stopped at _Debugger+0x6: unlk a6
>
> db> c                            <-- I typed "c"
> syncing disks... 5 5 1 done
> NetBSD/mac68k does not trust itself to update the RTC on shutdown.
> dumping to dev 401 offset 34459
> dump 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
>
> ..then it reboots.
>
> Any ideas?

Does it do this every time now?  What kernel are you using?  What binaries
are you using?  Have you tried reinstalling your kernel and the /sbin
binaries (e.g. /sbin/shutdown or /sbin/halt)?

If your kernel is new enough, I thing that you can type reboot at the
debugger prompt instead of 'c' and it might avoid the rather annoying
dump.  Also, does this machine reboot ok (i.e. is the problem only with
shutdown, or does it happen with reboot as well)?

Perhaps some of the above will help, or with a little more info, anyway...

Later.