Subject: Re: faulty termcap/ncsa telnet?
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: E. Seth Miller <esmiller@engin.umich.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/29/1997 03:12:01
On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, SamMaEl wrote:

[snip]

> 	Oh... one thing, is that since I use pico alot I erased the
> Interrupt Process Key (in ncsa telnet, it gives you an option of your
> Interrupt, Suspend Output and Resume Output keys. When it's ^C (the
> default) the ^C function in pico (shows which line you are on) doesn't
> work, and when I'm programming I pretty much NEED that function, so I know
> where errors are, etc.
>
> 	But, would disabling that key, or changing it to something else
> affect both the ^C and the ^U characters? Do you think it's a
> NetBSD/terminal emulation problem, or a ncsa telnet problem?

To throw in my $.02 worth, I've never seen a similar problem with NCSA
Telnet.  I've used 2.6, 2.7b5, and a couple of University of
Michigan-specific variants of 2.7b5.  I've always simply deleted the entry
in that little preferences thingy, like you said you did, and I've never
had a problem like what you've described.  (The machines I've connected to
have been Suns, HP/9000s, RS/6000s, a couple of Linux boxes, my NetBSD
box, and a VAX.)  I'd experiment if I could, but my Mac is 700 miles away
(Christmas break and all...).  Still, I don't think it's a problem with
NCSA Telnet, but switching versions might be an answer.  Another option is
to try switching telnet programs.  I'm not familiar with Better Telnet,
but some people swear by it, so it may be worth looking at.  Good luck!

	-Seth Miller