Subject: Re: Help with fvwm...
To: Chris Jewell <jewell@jewellce.es.dupont.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/28/1997 22:20:17
Chris Jewell wrote:

> I am running MacBSD with GENERIC #41 kernel.  I have recently installed X
> and I dilike the twm window manager.  I wanted to install fvwm butr, I get
> the following error when I do the make all described in the README.Install
> file:
>
> making all in ./libs...
> making all in ./fvwm...
> rm -f fvwm
> gcc -o fvwm -O2      -L/usr/X11R6/lib fvwm.o configure.o events.o borders.o menus.o functions.o resize.o       add_window.o pager.o move.o icons.o windows.o module.o placement.o        decorations.o colormaps.o misc.o style.o -L/usr/lib/X11 -lXpm -lXext
 -
> lX11 -lfvwmlib -L../libs      -R/usr/X11R6/lib
> ld: -lXpm: no match
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.

You need to download and install the XPM library (libXpm) first.  You can
find precompiled versions of both this and fvwm in the NetBSD-Amiga
archives (there should be several mirrors of this around the world).  In
addition, I believe the new package system includes both.

> Any clues as to what this means.  Will fvwm run in B&W mode?

The above just means that you have to have the library in a known library
path before you compile fvwm.  And, yes, fvwm does work just fine in B&W
mode.

I hope this helps some.

Later.