Subject: Re: faulty termcap/ncsa telnet?
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/28/1997 22:12:44
SamMaEl wrote:

> 	For some reason I'm having some terminal problems... not on the
> console, but when I telnet in using ncsa telnet 2.7b4 from another
> machine, my ^C doesn't kill a process, it suspends it. And, ^U doesn't
> erase your command line input. I'm using vt100 on both the console and in
> my telnets, but when I telnet I get the above behavior, and when I am on
> the console the ^C and ^U keystrokes work normally.... any ideas?

Do an 'stty -a' and see what the interrupt and suspend characters are set
to.  You can manually do a:

stty intr ^C
stty susp ^Z

to set the intr and susp characters, I believe.

> 	Oh... one thing, is that since I use pico alot I erased the
> Interrupt Process Key (in ncsa telnet, it gives you an option of your
> Interrupt, Suspend Output and Resume Output keys. When it's ^C (the
> default) the ^C function in pico (shows which line you are on) doesn't
> work, and when I'm programming I pretty much NEED that function, so I know
> where errors are, etc.

I can see how this would be a problem, but why in the world are you
writing code in pico?????  About the only thing pico is good for is as a
mailer editor.  Try using vi or emacs (I like the syntax hilighting
available in emacs, personally).

> 	But, would disabling that key, or changing it to something else
> affect both the ^C and the ^U characters? Do you think it's a
> NetBSD/terminal emulation problem, or a ncsa telnet problem?

I don't quite see how that would screw things up, but I usually just leave
all three of those fields blank.

I hope this helps some.

Later.