Subject: Re: faulty termcap/ncsa telnet?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/28/1997 21:27:42
On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > > 	For some reason I'm having some terminal problems... not on the
> > > console, but when I telnet in using ncsa telnet 2.7b4 from another
> > > machine, my ^C doesn't kill a process, it suspends it. And, ^U doesn't
> >
> > i don't think it suspends the process....just suspends the dump on your
> > screen (which is independant of NetBSD). i could be wrong though.
>
> Hmm. I've seen similar behavior, but where "suspend" really means suspend.
> When you hit ^C, do you get the "Suspended" message? If not, just ignore all
> of what I'm about to say. :-)
>
> On our RS/6K, for some strange reason, all the xterms do what I described.
> ^C suspends a program, it doesn't kill it. For me, the problem is that
> the susp and the dsusp key mappings point to ^C, not ^Z. Check your
> setup with an "stty -e".

	Yeah... susp is pointing to ^Z and dsussp is pointing to ^Y. ^C IS
set to intr.... so it must be a problem with ncsa telnet ;-) And yes, I DO
get the "Suspended" message, when I do a ^C.

sammael@hobbes% telnet benden
Trying 207.96.8.112...

   [hit ^C]

Suspended
sammael@hobbes% fg
telnet benden

   [hit ^Z]

Suspended
sammael@hobbes%

	Using a terminal program on my Quadra's modem port to my NetBSD
box's printer port running getty with std.9600 vt100, the ^C works just
fine.

hobbes# telnet benden
Trying 207.96.8.112...
^C
hobbes#

	Any ideas? How would one go about talking to ncsa about fixing
their telnet program? ;-) Actually, I have some other gripes about it as
well, namely the ugly ANSI colors in 2.7b4. Most of my terminal programs I
use have MUCH better ANSI color, among other things.

	Thanks!

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!