Subject: Re: Hell on Server!!?? Classic won't boot!
To: None <xperm@geocities.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/28/1997 16:31:22
[ADBTEST160 worked]

> Now a year later, my mac(the same classic II) has a 512 Mb HD and 10Mb of ram,
> just enough to do anything serious. It's time to install netbsd!!- I thought a
> few days ago...
>
> So the first thing I made was to download all the packages (including X) and al
> last, I looked again for the ADBTEst160 or any later and more powerful versions
> of it. I finally found the HWDIRECT356 and I also dowloaded again the 160 (just
> in case). And here comes the problem(or even the hell): none of them works!...
> but at least the 160 worked a year ago! What has happent !!!?? I've tried many
> things: download the 160 again in order to avoid transmission problems, test it
> from the MacOs partition, uncompress it with a TAR from Linux, and many
> things... I'm really going mad! It worked..., but now, it doesn't work! What has
> happend since then. Is it beacause I have upgraded my machine to 10Mb of Ram? I
> can't understand anything! One thing that shocks me is that the installer
> doesn't recognize the gzip format in which I download the kernel from
> netbsd.org. It says: wrong format!wrong format!wrong format! And I have to
> decompress it using Macgzip and then MacTAR and copy it to the netbsd partition
> or load it from the macos one(it fails in both cases). Could it be because they
> files are damagned or in the wrong format in the ftp server?

Be VERY careful about MacZIP. By default, it does "ascii" conversion,
which will turn linefeeds to carage returns. That's something you DON'T
want in a binary file. Actually, the install command in the installer
is supposed to unzip and untar the file for you. If it complains of
format errors, the file either got to you wrong, or is damaged on the server.

So try it again, and set fetch to "binary". The file should make it to you
ok.

Also, be careful not to use a userland more recent than your kernel. You'll
get errors (though they won't be this one).

Take care,

Bill