Subject: Hell on Server!!?? Classic won't boot!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alberto <xperm@geocities.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/28/1997 20:09:47
--------------984784006BD2CEC8C6EB1CB0

Hi, friends, This a message I've sent to John P. Wittkoski, the superman
developing the ADB Kernel for macs like the Classic II. In it I descrive my
problem. I also want your appreciate help. So pease, read it and give me your
opinions to my mail adress <xperm@geocities.com>

*************MESAAGE*************************

Dear John,

Hi, my name is Alberto, a 19 years old spanish student and a Mac Classic II user
desperated...

First of all let me thank you your work in the development of Netbsd and wish
you a happy new year. So this is my story:

Almost a year ago, I discovered netbsd. I really wanted to get unix working on
my mac and this was my opportunity. Soon I realized that netbsd had still to
mature a little before any serious installation could be done, nevertheless, I
wanted first to test it on my Mac Classic II and get familiar with it. And
that's what I did. I took me several days to get it working. At first, no kernel
did work, but some time later, Colin Wood told me about ADTEST160... The
heaven's kernel. I immediately downloaded it and installed it, and everything
worked well...!!! I got around netbsd for some weeks but soon had to left it
because my mac didn't have much capacity(4Mb of Ram and only 80 of HD!!). So the
test was made, and I was very happy, because I knew any day, I would make my mac
a super unix workstation...

Now a year later, my mac(the same classic II) has a 512 Mb HD and 10Mb of ram,
just enough to do anything serious. It's time to install netbsd!!- I thought a
few days ago...

So the first thing I made was to download all the packages (including X) and al
last, I looked again for the ADBTEst160 or any later and more powerful versions
of it. I finally found the HWDIRECT356 and I also dowloaded again the 160 (just
in case). And here comes the problem(or even the hell): none of them works!...
but at least the 160 worked a year ago! What has happent !!!?? I've tried many
things: download the 160 again in order to avoid transmission problems, test it
from the MacOs partition, uncompress it with a TAR from Linux, and many
things... I'm really going mad! It worked..., but now, it doesn't work! What has
happend since then. Is it beacause I have upgraded my machine to 10Mb of Ram? I
can't understand anything! One thing that shocks me is that the installer
doesn't recognize the gzip format in which I download the kernel from
netbsd.org. It says: wrong format!wrong format!wrong format! And I have to
decompress it using Macgzip and then MacTAR and copy it to the netbsd partition
or load it from the macos one(it fails in both cases). Could it be because they
files are damagned or in the wrong format in the ftp server?

In order to help you, I give you the log file and I cant tell you, that the
message saying "bye-bye, the way....." appears: so the kernel may be loaded into
memory..., but then the mac gets frozen and doesn't even jumps into netbsd and
it doesn't even blanks the screen displaying any message... I also can tell you
that the kernel named netbsd121 (the one included in the standar package) works!
Ok, it doesn't really work but at least it starts booting netbsd, blancks the
screen, tests memory(it detects my 10mb with out problems) and then, like it
used to do a year ago, it stops saying something like "no internal video...". I
knew netbsd121 wouldn't work(that's why I had to use adbtest160 thanks to Colin
Wood), but also downloaded it again in order to prove myself that I was doing
every thing well: installing the partitions, making the devices...

*************End of MESAAGE*************************

Please, help me as soon as possible...

thank you very much and reply to my mail adress!

Alberto(Spain).

--------------984784006BD2CEC8C6EB1CB0

This is the complete boot secuence with the option "extra debugging info" enabled for the kernel ADtest160 using the booter 1.9.7 and MacOs 7.5.0 with no extensions.

**********************Boot Secuence***********************
Logging to bootlog
Booting...MID_M68K executable: entry 0x3356.
778824+58012+95752+46200+49057

Set _boothowto to 0x2.
  Bye-bye...
        So I sez to him...  The real way
        that it should be done is to...

Set _mac68k_vrsrc_cnt to 0x0.

The Mac gets frozen... and dies.

The memory assigned for the booter in the finder is 3072 Mb for the minimum and 6 Mb for the preferred size.

Thank you for your help.
--------------984784006BD2CEC8C6EB1CB0--