Subject: a couple questions
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/27/1997 18:38:16
	1) Is there any sort of FAQ o setting up IPNAT? I'm trying to use
some of the scripts I've seen in various posts to the list, but none have
worked for me thus far. Here is my setup:

	hobbes @ 10.0.0.3 # IIci running NetBSD
		broadcast 255.255.255.10

	brahms @ 10.0.0.1 # Q630 generally running MacOS (no CS ethernet
			  # yet under NetBSD
	yoda   @ 10.0.0.2 # PB540c (no FPU, and LC040, so no NetBSD 8-()
	newton @ 10.0.0.4 # IIcx running MacOS (video card and ethernet
			  # card conflicts, so can't ifconfig.... I'll
			  # send some info on it later to see if someone
			  # can help fix)

	* all have a 255.255.255.0 netmask

	Hobbes has the PPP connection to the Internet, and I want to route
those packets to at least Brahms and Yoda so I can use Netscape through
Hobbes as a gateway. So far.... no luck. It MAY be that I need to figure
out the domain name stuff. Right now, Hobbes is my internal DNS, and it
also uses my ISP's DNS. What would be a good way to set up the TCP/IP
settings on my MacOS machines.... use Hobbes as a primary DNS and my ISP
as secondary? or vice versa?

	Right now, here's my nat-up script (called from /etc/ppp/ppp-up
after I get my IP address from my ISP.

#!/bin/sh
#
# nat-up - setup the nat with ppp
#

address=`ifconfig ppp0 | tail -n 1 | awk '{print $2}'`
echo Current IP address is $address
echo Cleaning out IPNAT
ipnat -F
ipnat -C
ipf -E
echo Setting up IPNAT for IP address $address
echo "map ppp0 10.0.0.3/24 -> $address/32 portmap tcp/udp 10000:65000" |
ipnat -f -
# the above is one line
echo "map ppp0 10.0.0.3/24 -> $address/32" | ipnat -f -

--------
	and my nat-down (called from /etc/ppp/ppp-down)

#!/bin/sh
#
# nat-down - bring down the nat
#

ipf -D
ipnat -C

-------------

	Do I just need to adjust the IP numbers to reflect my system? Or
is there something else going on? I've tried using 10.0.0.3 and 10.0.0.0
for the IP/netmask pair in the map ppp0, but neither has worked. I've
looked through the ipf ipnat and ipnat.conf man pages and they didn't seem
to help my understanding much...

	2) What would be a good way to set up a serial connection between
2 NetBSD machines? I can't use ethernet between Hobbes and Brahms, but I
could at least use a SLIP/PPP connection between the two. I read something
about setting it up recently, but I've misplaced all of my old list mails
8-( Anyone care to recap? ;-) I've not had any luck so far.... 8-(

	Thanks!

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!