Subject: Re: Web Browsers for NetBSD/mac68k (Was: Opera)
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/27/1997 16:48:23
> I'm not sure what would be involved in getting a port of Netscape for
> NetBSD-*68k, but I'd suspect it would be much more likely if... is it
> XFree86 that NetBSD is moving toward?... were working on all systems in
> color.  It might also help to talk to the folks on the linux-pmac mailing
> list and ask for advice on bending Netscape's ear about it.  :-)

I think a simpler way to do it is to point out that the NetBSD build
system can make it simple to cross-compile many architectures from one
source tree. The obj system (throwing everything in obj directories)
can append the machine type. So all that needs to be done is (1) have a
for-NetBSD source which runs on all platforms (mainly that means it's
Alpha-clean) and uses the Berkeley make system (shouldn't be too bad,
and it'll work on FreeBSD too). (2) have a DESTDIR instalation of each
target system (or really just the includes and the libraries). (3) have
a cross compiler and tools for the target architecture. (4) set up a
build environment which sets all the tools to their cross-compiling
fellows, and sets up DESTDIR, BSDSRCDIR, BSDOBJDIR, and OBJMACHINE.

The only tricky thing right now is getting a cross-compiling ld. The
in-tree ld needs some work. The in-tree as can be built to cross-assemble.

But once you do that, you have a system which can build multiple
architectures from one source tree.

Take care,

Bill

P.S. I have done this with the NetBSD source, and have patches which
I will try to get integrated after 1.3 comes out. Hopefully they can
make 1.3.1. :-)