Subject: Re: colorX with rasterops 24STV
To: wb2oyc <WB2OYC@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
From: John Valdes <valdes@macavity.uchicago.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/26/1997 20:01:55
wb2oyc writes:

> >I have a RasterOps 24S (just the plain 24S, not the 24STV) in my IIcx,
> >and it works with 8 bit color under X.
>
>      Really?  I have several RO cards myself, and they fail to boot
> at all!  In IIci's that work completely, including 8 bit X, when I
> use the SLOTMAN kernel and Apple Mac II Hi Res Nubus video.  I'd
> appreciate if you could id your kernel's number and date!

My kernel and X server are pretty old (but they work... ;) ).  The
kernel was compiled by Taras Ivanenko from NetBSD 1.2 sources on
10/24/96.  It was available at ctpa01.mit.edu:/pub/ivanenko/macbsd,
although I didn't see it there now.  The X server is an old colorkit
kernel from puma compiled 11/6/96; don't know if that's still there.
If you'd like, I can put a copy of my kernel and X server up for ftp.
I haven't tried the SLOTMAN kernel; I'll give a try (what X servers are
supposed to work with it?) and see if it works with my RasterOps 24S.

BTW, on boot, my TARAS kernel reports:

 /netbsd: macvid0 at nubus0: RasterOps 24S
 /netbsd: Possible modes:  0x80 0x81 0x82 0x83 0x84
 /netbsd: GetZone returning 0x00000000
 /netbsd: SetZone 0x000d4a28
 /netbsd: SetZone 0x00000000
 /netbsd: GetZone returning 0x00000000
 /netbsd: SetZone 0x000d4a28
 /netbsd: SetZone 0x00000000
 /netbsd: SM:Unknown Slot Manager routine 0x11
 /netbsd: macvid0: 640 x 480, monochrome
 /netbsd: grf0 at macvid0

As I mentioned previously, I boot in 1-bit mode, and the X server
switches to 8-bit when it starts.

John