Subject: Re: How do I ...?
To: Chris Jewell <jewell@jewellce.es.dupont.com>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/26/1997 16:38:24
On Fri, 26 Dec 1997, Chris Jewell wrote:

> I have X running (finally) and I have a 3 button track ball.  How do I
> configure the buttons for the different functions of X.  All I get righ
> now is click and click and hold, my thrid button has no functions at all.
> I am only abot to get the main menu of commands for the one mous button.

	first you have to get NetBSD to recognize the trackball, etc
etc... and then it may be a matter of digging through man pages for your
window manager (twm, fvwm, etc.) to see how to configure the device in the
.rc file for the particular program.

> How do I get to the config menus so I can set up X the way I want it to
> look?  Any help along with suggestions on a better client (in B&W) than
> twm.  Thanks alot...

	Well... this is not Linux ;-) No spoon-feed menus. To set up X,
you'll need to basically edit the different .rc files which may or may not
be in your home directory. Actually, when you first installed X, there
should be a file in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit called xinitrc. You should
make a copy of that file and save it as /root/.xinitrc then read the xinit
man page to figure out how to edit your new .xinitrc file ;-) Who knows..
maybe some nice and thoughtful X guru out there will write a howto on some
basic X setup configurations. I know it took me a night or so of man page
reading and some trial and error to get things set up how I wanted them,
and that was just with twm. I've not taken the time to delve into fvwm yet
;-)

	Good man pages to read: X(1), xinit(1), xterm(1), twm(1), fvwm(1),
xdm(1) (if you want X to startup on system bootup, I think this will do
it)... and there is a list of a bunch of other man pages to look at at the
end of X(1).

	Good luck!

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!