Subject: Re: ncurses package installation failure
To: None <fb@enteract.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/25/1997 11:32:32
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the various tidbits of advice. Seevral people
offered the advice on not using the package system and compiling it on
my own.  I am happy to do that, but then the ncurses mackage remains
broken for the next person.  Hubrt is listed as being the maintainer of
the ncurses package, so Hubert the ncurses package is broken.

I am not sure how many of the port-mac68k users are familiar with how the
packages are supposed to work. The NetBSD package system is based on (a
direct copy of) the FreeBSD port system. Ideally, what you do under this
system is go to the appropriate diretcory for the package/port, and
type 'make install'.  Then, the system of makefiles automagically download
the source, compile it, and install it for you. There is not supposed to
be any messing with Makefiles, or fussing with source code. This is all
supposed to be done by applying "patches."

Since there is a problem in this process for the ncurses package, it means
that the there is a bug somewhere in this process for the ncurses package.
So far, the most hope-inspiring advice came from Frederick Bruckman.

I tried everything that he suggested, but I still get exactly the same
problem. It is still bombing out at exactly the same place. For now,
I will wait until 1.3 official distribution comes out, upgrade to that,
and try it again.

Mark

On Wed, 24 Dec 1997, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> According to Mark Andres:
> >
> > I downloaded the 'ncurses-1.9.9g.tar.gz' file from
> > <ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/.23/NetBSD/packages/distfiles/> and this time the
> > checksum was OPK (even though the files are the exact same size). The
> > make goes OK, but the 'make install' bombs out at:
> >
> > -------------------
> > installing std
> > installing stdcrt
> > installing vt100
> > installing vt300
> > cd test; make   INSTALL_PREFIX="" install
> > cd c++; make   INSTALL_PREFIX="" install
> > mv /usr/pkg/include/curses.h /usr/pkg/include/ncurses.h
> > mv: rename /usr/pkg/include/curses.h to /usr/pkg/include/ncurses.h: No such file or directory
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.
> > -------------------
> >
> It's supposed to _link_ curses.h to ncurses.h, not _move_ it! /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk sets
> the make variable ``LN'' to /bin/ln, but only if it's not defined already. That's what this
> line, in bsd.port.mk means:
>
> LN?= /bin/ln
>
> Obviously, something is overriding that on your system, either before or after. Look to see
> if LN is defined in /etc/mk.conf. If so, delete that line. Also look in the Makefile for ncurses.
> If you really can't find it, you could try setting it as an environment variable,
>
> 	# setenv LN=/bin/ln
>
> or this should definitely work:
>
> 	# make LN=/bin/ln install
>
> I made lynx using ncurses, too, and it's much faster and more reliable than the pre-compiled binary
> that I had been using.

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
   Me & NetBSD: http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/