Subject: Re: ncurses package installation failure
To: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fred@fb.sa.enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/25/1997 12:17:11
According to Mark Andres:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks to everyone for the various tidbits of advice. Seevral people
> offered the advice on not using the package system and compiling it on
> my own.  I am happy to do that, but then the ncurses mackage remains
> broken for the next person.  Hubrt is listed as being the maintainer of
> the ncurses package, so Hubert the ncurses package is broken.
>
> I am not sure how many of the port-mac68k users are familiar with how the
> packages are supposed to work. The NetBSD package system is based on (a
> direct copy of) the FreeBSD port system. Ideally, what you do under this
> system is go to the appropriate diretcory for the package/port, and
> type 'make install'.  Then, the system of makefiles automagically download
> the source, compile it, and install it for you. There is not supposed to
> be any messing with Makefiles, or fussing with source code. This is all
> supposed to be done by applying "patches."
>
> Since there is a problem in this process for the ncurses package, it means
> that the there is a bug somewhere in this process for the ncurses package.
> So far, the most hope-inspiring advice came from Frederick Bruckman.

I'm doing a `make build' right now in the pkgsrc/devel/ncurses directory,
extracted from Dec. 21's pkgsrc.tar.gz. It doesn't look like I'm going to
have the problem you have, at least:

	# make -V LN

gives:

	/bin/ln

just like it's supposed to. The file /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk is also
dated Dec. 21. That's were LN is supposed to be defined. If you have an
older one, you might try downloading the latest from NetBSD-current
(when the server comes back up).