Subject: Re: Opera Web Browser
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/25/1997 23:07:03
At 6:01 Uhr +0100 24.12.1997, Michael R Zucca wrote:

>Actually, if you can get a stable verion of Java going and you have some
>memory and a little horse-power (like a Quadra) then HotJava is about the
>next best thing to Netscape.

NOT.

I've got MRJ 2.0ea7 running on a Duo 280. Quite nice, but s...l...o...w...
with, say, jCVS, which is lean and mean compared to HotJava. And MRJ has a
just-in-time (JIT) compiler on-board, unlike the Sun/L*nux/whatever JDK.

>The linux-pmac folks were working hard on
>porting the Blackdown version of Java so that they could have a real browser
>before the advent of the Netscape port. Now they have both a real browser and
>a really good version of Java.
>
>Though, I'm not sure how Java would perform on an old II. :(

See above. The m68k machines are really nice, and I dearly love my 68k
Macs, but Java is not for them. "It is not for you. Say just that."  ;)

	hauke