Subject: Re: colorX with rasterops 24STV
To: David <dfbills@syr.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/24/1997 16:09:27
You've obviously got a card that doesn't use the "standard" method of
changing video modes.  IMNSHO, you're probably hosed, unless you want to
spend a _very large_ amount of time reverse-engineering your card's ROM
firmware.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... :(

On Wed, 24 Dec 1997, David wrote:

> After booting with the Generic kernel with color lkm, I've got X to "start"
> now in both 8bit and 24bit, but both are not in the correct video modes.
> When I looked at the log I see:
>
> 	Couldn't set video mode to 0X80 or 0x83
> 	Assuming 1 bit-per-pixel mode'...
> 	Screen 0 at 0xfc000000, 640 by 480, rowB 1024, fbbase 0x8437000.
>
> But, the card never actually changes to 1bit mode.  (Which does, by the
> way, work fine.)
>

> -->David out.
> David F. Bills                            Newton Intelligence
> dfbills@syr.edu                          hotline://ni.syr.edu
> http://web.syr.edu/~dfbills               http://bounce.to/ni

| Paul Goyette       | Public Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Consultant |  0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker  |  E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |