Subject: Re: Web Browsers for NetBSD/mac68k (Was: Opera)
To: macbsd <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <cruller@unicom.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/24/1997 09:33:37
> * NetBSD/mac68k runs on 680X0 chips. While they were widely used in their
>   hey day by Apple, Sun, HP, Amiga, and Atari, they are no longer being
>   used seriously for computers. They are basically at a dead-end platform.
>   Apple, Sun, and HP have all moved on to other chips.
>
> Which would you develop for if you were Netscape?  I have never used
> MkLinux (although I may soon be getting my hands on a PowerMac 6100/AV
> for free), so I cannot talk about which UN*X is better. But from a business
> stand-point, developing for MkLinux over NetBSD/mac68k makes better sense.

</2-cents>
	Could it be that Netscape is not specifically developing for MkLinux
but rather testing on the mach microkernel and MkLinux is a semi-stable
test bed based on mach3.0???

	While it is true netscape will not make any profit on a bsd-on-680x0
(except continued loyalty) platform, I haven't seen any way to pay them
for their MkLinux efforts either( which I would gladly do). Nor do I
expect to.

<*/2-cents>

Gerald