Subject: Re: Serial Terminal
To: Chris <smirks@mail.eclipse.net>
From: Nikolai Vladychevski <niko@netspace.com.mx>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/24/1997 00:40:36
>With all this talk about connecting via serial cable I was wondering how
>this might be done.
>
>I have a IIvx which I run NetBSD from and a Quadra 605 that I run MacOS
>from, neither have Ether cards or anything.  How can I connect to the
>NetBSD machine to the MacOS machine via serial cable and how could I
>telnet from one to the other?
>
>Does that make any sense?
Just plug your Mac serial cable to both machines and on netbsd do this:
pppd /dev/tty00 (or tty01 if you use printer port) 57600 lock crtscts
local 192.168.1.1:192.168.1.2
where 192.168.1.1 is netbsds IP, and 192.168.1.2 is the Quadras IP.
On Quadra 605 configure PPP and other stuff to connect over the serial
port ,
 btw you would need to use Null Modem in the popup menu (OpenTransport
has it in OT/PPP package)

You could also use IP Masquerading (IPNAT) to connect both machines to
the internet.

The above is the full TCP network, but there is posible to setup a getty
on the port
and you will have just a terminal(no ftp, mail, etc..), since I never
used this option, I dont knwo how
to setup, but it should be equaly easy.

Nikolai

>Thanks a Bunch!
>Chris

Nikolai Vladychevskii, niko@netspace.com.mx
Another mad Java Developer
Dom Software. +52 (72) 13-2642 Toluca, Mex.

"Only Ice Cream Has 31 Flavors"