Subject: Re: Question, maybe soultion...
To: Chris Jewell <jewell@jewellce.es.dupont.com>
From: Adrian Rollett <acrollet+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/24/1997 01:52:20
On Tue, 23 Dec 1997, Chris Jewell wrote:

> Do I need to configure the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers file?  What
> should the path look like?  This is what the file lloke like now.  Is this
> coorect?
>
> # $XConsortium: Xserv.ws.cpp,v 1.3 93/09/28 14:30:30 gildea Exp $
> #
> # Xservers file, workstation prototype
> #
> # This file should contain an entry to start the server on the
[snip]
> # look like:
> #	XTerminalName:0 foreign
> #
> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin

You've got it almost right: you want the line to say

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

(assuming there is a symlink from your xserver to X, or otherwise the full
name of the xserver, and assuming that is the path to it - some people put
it in /usr/local/X11R6/bin )

Most of the config stuff works right out of the box, in order to get it to
give me an xsession, I had to comment out the GiveConsole and TakeConsole
foo, I have not had a chance to work on it though, because i am away from
the console until break is over (jan. 9th ) Also you may want to do a
man xsm (i think that's the session managers name)
that'll tell you how to set up an xclients and so on for xdm sessions.

Sorry for the long-windedness on the list, hope this helps, and please let
me know if you figure out the {Get,Take}Console foo, I'll do the same when
I get back to my machine.

cheers,
-Adrian