Subject: Re: Opera Web Browser
To: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/24/1997 00:01:55
> creation of a port for Opera for your platform. Now, let's assume that the
> nice people at Opera are honest and will really do what they intend to do.

Very nice. And I've got some swamp land in Florida you can take a look at :)

> Let's assume out of all the NetBSD/mac68k users out there, maybe 300
> decide they would be willing to pay $35 for Opera on NetBSD/mac68k (and

Actually, we simply need a NetBSD/m68k port. All of the m68k machines are
binary compatible. So that gets us up to a whopping 900 folks (yeah right).

> So what choices are out there? It depends on what you want to do:
>
> 1) Mosaic -- Personally, I think the 2.7b3 version from the Amiga binary

Sucks. No frames. Tables are handled all wrong. Geez, everything is handled
wrong :-)

> 2) Arena -- This holds promise, but has not yet delivered. It is supposed to

Crashes constantly.

> 3) Chimera -- This is actually a nice basic broswer. Like Mosaic, it does not

Very stable. Unfortunately, has many of the same flaws as Mosaic.

> 4) Lynx -- Let's not forget our old text-based friend. I use lynx for quick

Handy in a pinch but not great.

> 5) Netscape -- If you really need to have frames, plug-ins, and all the
>    goodies that go along with Netscape, then get a used Intel machine. You
>    can install NetBSD on it and run the BSDI or FreeBSD version of Netscape.
>    An added bonus is that you will get color X as well if you get a decent
>    video card. Even in Japan, I have seen used P75 machines going for as low
>    as $400 with 16MB or RAM and an 800MB HD.

This point is moot as far as I can tell. Mac68k users either don't have the
$400 to spare otherwise they'd be running linux on a P75, or they have a
P75 and are using their Mac68k box for Network services, server stuff,
XTerms or whatever. Then ther are religious issues I don't want to get into.

> There are also other browsers out there that I haven't tried. I have heard
> that phoenix is not very good. There is also the Amaya project.

Both those crash or suck :-)

Actually, if you can get a stable verion of Java going and you have some
memory and a little horse-power (like a Quadra) then HotJava is about the
next best thing to Netscape. The linux-pmac folks were working hard on
porting the Blackdown version of Java so that they could have a real browser
before the advent of the Netscape port. Now they have both a real browser and
a really good version of Java.

Though, I'm not sure how Java would perform on an old II. :(

Oh well.