Subject: Re: Opera Web Browser
To: Armen Babikyan <synapse@lethargy.mit.edu>
From: #hea <hea@ix.netcom.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/23/1997 22:41:14
On 12/22/97, Armen Babikyan, wrote:
>If this is true, which i don't really doubt, I wouldn't be surprised
>because Apple would be the kind of company who would pay Netscape a sum of
>money to port their software to their operating systems. (remember,
>Mklinux was partially funded by Apple)
>later,
>  - a
>
>On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Lee Larson wrote:
>
>> Mark Andres wrote on 12/22/97 10:56 PM
>>
>> >For better or worse, the current market of "personal computers" is
>> >dominated by the Intel architecture. This allows Netscape to create Linux
>> >(and recently FreeBSD) versions of Navigator. Why don't they create a
>> >NetBSD/m68k version or even a MkLinux version?
>>
>> But, there is an MkLinux version.

Netscape for MkLinux and Linux-ppc does exist.  I use it.  However, as
far as I know, Apple did NOT pay Netscape to develop the MkLinux version.
 A lot of Linux people wrote email to Netscape to request the port.
Since there was a Linux version, and an AIX version, the MkLinux was a
natural follow-on.  Nonetheless, thanks goes to Netscape for the MkLinux
port... We appreciate it.

...Harlan