Subject: Re: Web Browsers for NetBSD/mac68k (Was: Opera)
To: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
From: Jason S. <root@pbase>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/23/1997 14:24:11

> Hi,
>
> OK, I stand corrected on the existence of a MkLinux version of Netscape.
> However, I don't think this changes my main points. Let's compare
> NetBSD/mac68k with MkLinux:
>
> * MkLinux is backed by Apple and gets their cooperation.
> * NetBSD/mac68k does not.
>
> * MkLinux runs on PowerPC chips. They are still in production today and
>   should continue to be used for at least the near future by Apple and IBM.
> * NetBSD/mac68k runs on 680X0 chips. While they were widely used in their
>   hey day by Apple, Sun, HP, Amiga, and Atari, they are no longer being
>   used seriously for computers. They are basically at a dead-end platform.
>   Apple, Sun, and HP have all moved on to other chips.
>
> Which would you develop for if you were Netscape?  I have never used
> MkLinux (although I may soon be getting my hands on a PowerMac 6100/AV
> for free), so I cannot talk about which UN*X is better. But from a business
> stand-point, developing for MkLinux over NetBSD/mac68k makes better sense.

My assumption was that all Netscape probably had to do was
compile the linux-x86 version for PowerPC.  Netscape has made
it _very_ clear that the linux-ppc/mklinux version is _very_
unsupported.  There is a FreeBSD version - why don't you
guys politely ask Netscape to see if it would compile for
NetBSD-m68k?