Subject: Re: Some newbie questions
To: Armen Babikyan <synapse@lethargy.mit.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/23/1997 11:11:22
At 2:51 PM -0800 12/22/97, Armen Babikyan wrote:
>I'd like to be more of a help to new users of NetBSD and actually compile
>a list of what drives want what driver, so e-mail me with the drive, model
>name, stuff like that...basically whatever shows up for the drive(s) in
>dmesg, and i'll try to get an html document formatted in a few days.

I did that once.  The reason I didn't post anything is that it is more
complecated than that.  It isn't just specific drives, it's specific
revisions of drives with specific models of Mac, or something equally bad.
If you want my archive I can send it to you, but it doesn't have enough
detail for what the developers need.

As for NCR vice SBC I have seen at least one report of a combination that
worked under NCR but not SBC, and another more recent report (this year
sometime) of a machine that had some drives that each worked with different
drivers so the person couldn't use all his hardware with either of them.
The other reasons for keeping NCR is I think it is supposed to have a
faster transfer rate, and the SCSI disconnect/reconnect code is better
debugged.  (Someone correct me if I've maligned Scott R.)

The driver problem gives everyone fits.  There *has* been attention given
to finding the problem, but the level of expertise needed is pretty high,
and a fancy logic analyzer with a broken configuration wouldn't hurt
either.  Since the problem has persisted for two years or so now (I think)
it's obviously not easy to find.