Subject: Re: serial echo - was clotman incompatable
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: David <dfbills@syr.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/23/1997 11:34:29
>> Finally, do you have the capability of attaching a serial console to the
>> system?  (Ie, do you have a vt100-like dumb terminal, or another computer
>> that can act like one?)  If so, you can boot with serial console on, and
>> all of the startup messages will go there instead of the Mac video device.
>
>Another alternative is to use serial echo to a printer. The latest
>serial driver will set the baud rate before using serial echo. So if you
>have a DeskWriter, which usually seems to work at 57600, you are set.
>Just make the default printer baud rate 57600 in the booter, and turn on
>serial echo.
>
>You can test it by using a MacOS terminal program and sending
>characters to the printer. If they print right, you've got the
>baud rate right.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I do have a few macs here that I could use for
a terminal.  I'm going to try it later today when I get home from work.  (I
don't have a DeskWriter though.)

-->David out.
David F. Bills                            Newton Intelligence
Syracuse University                      hotline://ni.syr.edu
dfbills@syr.edu                       http://bounce.to/ni
               Maxwell School: Policy Studies
                http://web.syr.edu/~dfbills