Subject: Re: Details on my Xmacbsd problem...
To: None <jewell@jewellce.es.dupont.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/23/1997 09:51:51
On Tue, 23 Dec 1997 07:36:08 -0500 (EST),
Chris Jewell <jewell@jewellce.es.dupont.com> wrote:
> Okay here is the error I got when I typed startx:
>

> Couldn't set video mode to 0x80 or 0x83
> Assuming 1 bit-per-pixel mode...

These 2 lines mean your video card is not compatible with SLOTMAN
kernel, most likely because it's the internal video!  SLOTMAN or video
lkm does NOT support internal videos.

> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

This is another problem.  I can think of a few reasons why server
shuts down but none of them exactly matches the symptom shown here.
There should have been some additional diagnostic messages if it was
one of them...

> I am running MacBSD 1.2.1
> My Mac is a IIci
> I have 32 MB of memory
> I am using the video card that came with the machine
> I am using the SLOTMAN kernel

Are you sure it's a video "card"?  IIci normally don't come with a
card, but with a video circuitry built into the main logic board.

Ken