Subject: Re: colorX with rasterops 24STV
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: David <dfbills@syr.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/1997 23:51:22
Thanks, I'll give it a try.  I hadn't thought of millions.

>> I wanted to let everybody know that I tried to get X color working today
>> with an old rasterops 24STV card that I had laying around.  I'm working on
>> a IIci and I cannot even get through the boot process without having the
>> video card's ROM image pop-up and 3 tiny screens appear.
>
>Actually, sounds like your card's PrimaryInit code is switching modes to
>24 bit mode. Unfortunately, I don't think Paul's code will adjust for willy
>nilly mode changes like this.
>
>Try booting NetBSD in Millions of colors mode. That way, your card will simply
>stay in 24 bit mode when SLOTMAN runs the PrimaryInit code and the console
>will be visible as *one* screen :)
>
>It will be slow but once you get X going, the X server will switch the card
>into 8 bit mode and things will pick up speed again.
>
>A solution to this problem might be to have the grf driver check the bit depth
>at startup and either switch it back to the one stored or reinit the console
>to the new depth.
>
>Good luck!

-->David out.
David F. Bills                            Newton Intelligence
Syracuse University                      hotline://ni.syr.edu
dfbills@syr.edu                       http://bounce.to/ni
               Maxwell School: Policy Studies
                http://web.syr.edu/~dfbills