Subject: Re: Some newbie questions
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Armen Babikyan <synapse@lethargy.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/1997 17:51:41
On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
> > 2. There and then, NetBSD shows a SCSI-error on the console. The
> >    messages are quite frequent, if the machine accesses the disk
> >    a lot. The messages vary, but the last line always reads:
> > 	unexpected phase change.
> >    Last evening, the machine crashed into the debugger after
> >    such a message. It had an uptime of 7 days then.
>
> Hmm, you've got me on this one...there's no aparent filesystem damager, is
> there? Others are MUCH more versed than myself when it comes to SCSI
> errors. Sorry.

I have a IIvx and get this harmless error quite frequently. apparently
something in the kernel's NCRSCSI code isn't cool with the hardware, so it
displays error messages. i just find them annoying because they're
cluttering my /var/log/messages. Michael Zucca mentioned something before
about this error, but it has no effects, afaik. apparently it's a
IIvx-only thing.  my machine is running with an uptime of...37 days =)

The SBC kernel has been unbootable on IIvx's for quite some time. the only
one I got to work was NetBSD 1.2.1 GENERICSBC#26. luckily my drives don't
need sbcscsi.

Are their actually drives that like NCRSCSI over SBCSCSI? because the only
reason i can see right now that NCR isn't being ditched is because
SBC doesn't boot on all machines, not that drives don't like them...

I'd like to be more of a help to new users of NetBSD and actually compile
a list of what drives want what driver, so e-mail me with the drive, model
name, stuff like that...basically whatever shows up for the drive(s) in
dmesg, and i'll try to get an html document formatted in a few days.

later,

  - a