Subject: Re: Annoying People at FWB
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Tim Bessie <tbessie@eci.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/1997 13:41:25
At 04:22 PM 12/22/97 -0500, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
>Actually, Tim, I think that you're missing a big part of the point. FWB
>DOES successfuly do *exactly* what they told you that it does. It can
>successfully create A/UX partitions.
>
>What you need to realize, though, is that NetBSD *CANNOT* use A/UX
>partitions. We can CONVERT them into usable partitions, but what FWB gives
>you can be used right away with no modification by A/UX. You did NOT pay
>$60 for them to create NetBSD partitions, so you got fully what you paid
>for. So as soon as you use an operating system that's A/UX complient, then
>you can complain if you have trouble with FWB's HDT. In the meantime, it
>will work perfectly fine to give you NetBSD support using MKFS....exactly
>like EVERY other formatter you can find.

Perhaps one of us is missing a different point (could me me
or you, I don't know).

If the partition map entries contain flags which denote "A/UX Root"
or "A/UX Swap" or "A/UX Root&Usr", and these flags, at least if
you want to be 100% A/UX compliant, must be set somewhere in order
to be used for those purposes (i.e. Root, Swap, or Root & Usr), that
saying "This product is 100% A/UX compliant" WOULD allow you to
set those flags?

Mkfs has never complained to me that it couldn't recognize a partition
I created with Apple's HD SC Setup... apparently, HD SC Setup sets
those flags according to which UNIX partition type you select when
creating the partition.  FWB's software ONLY sets the "type" string...
it sets the partition map entry flags to "scratch".  You have
no control over these flags.  I would assume that, with A/UX, ideally
one would want these flags to match your use of that partition (i.e.
Root, Swap, Root&Usr, etc.).  Does this somehow sound unreasonable
to you?  If MkLiniux doesn't check those flags, it is only because
it was designed that way -- to be 100% A/UX compliant, it OUGHT to
check those flags, as does NetBSD.

What's da problem?

- Tim

Tim Bessie