Subject: Re: Annoying People at FWB
To: Tim Bessie <tbessie@eci.net>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/1997 16:22:17
> _That_ is the problem.  Mkfs can set the bits correctly FOR me.
> I am just annoyed that, after paying $60.00 for FWB (after being
> told by one of their Tech Support people that "Yes, it can create
> A/UX partitions"), finding that it doesn't do EVERYTHING it's
> supposed to.  According to FWB's documentation, it works for
> creating "MkLinux" partitions -- I'm assuming MkLinux isn't as
> picky as NetBSD, and only looks at the 'type' string, not caring
> about the partition map entry flags.

Actually, Tim, I think that you're missing a big part of the point. FWB
DOES successfuly do *exactly* what they told you that it does. It can
successfully create A/UX partitions.

What you need to realize, though, is that NetBSD *CANNOT* use A/UX
partitions. We can CONVERT them into usable partitions, but what FWB gives
you can be used right away with no modification by A/UX. You did NOT pay
$60 for them to create NetBSD partitions, so you got fully what you paid
for. So as soon as you use an operating system that's A/UX complient, then
you can complain if you have trouble with FWB's HDT. In the meantime, it
will work perfectly fine to give you NetBSD support using MKFS....exactly
like EVERY other formatter you can find.

Mike