Subject: Re: colorX with rasterops 24STV
To: David <dfbills@syr.edu>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/1997 15:44:03
> I wanted to let everybody know that I tried to get X color working today
> with an old rasterops 24STV card that I had laying around.  I'm working on
> a IIci and I cannot even get through the boot process without having the
> video card's ROM image pop-up and 3 tiny screens appear.

Actually, sounds like your card's PrimaryInit code is switching modes to
24 bit mode. Unfortunately, I don't think Paul's code will adjust for willy
nilly mode changes like this.

Try booting NetBSD in Millions of colors mode. That way, your card will simply
stay in 24 bit mode when SLOTMAN runs the PrimaryInit code and the console
will be visible as *one* screen :)

It will be slow but once you get X going, the X server will switch the card
into 8 bit mode and things will pick up speed again.

A solution to this problem might be to have the grf driver check the bit depth
at startup and either switch it back to the one stored or reinit the console
to the new depth.

Good luck!