Subject: Opera Web Browser
To: Port-mac68k <PORT-MAC68K@NetBSD.ORG>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <tschulze@compuserve.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/1997 14:21:07
The latest issue of NetBITS, published by Adam Engst of the Macintosh =

newsletter TidBITS fame, includes an article about a new web browser on =

the market called "Opera".  At present only Windoze95, NT and 3.11 =

versions are available, but they are planning on porting Opera to other =

platforms RSN.  One of the platforms will be the Mac.

They decided what platforms to port to by putting up an online survey for=
 =

folks to express their desire for a port to their platform.  OS/2 and Mac=
 =

led the pack, and according to Opera Software, BeOS made a pretty good =

showing considering its installed base.  Linux, however, did not do as =

well, surprising the publishers.

In any case, Opera Software has set up a site for users to continue to =

vote on their desire for an Opera port.  It won't be freeware or =

copylefted; it'll be a commercial product.  Their current release costs =

about $35.

I mention this only because of my recent disappointing results trying to =

compile Mosaic and Mark Andres' email correcting the misinterpretation =

that there is a NetBSD port of Netscape.  We are either short of good =

browser choices, or I am short of info on useable browsers (both very =

likely).  In any case, I registered my interest at the operasoftware site=
 =

for a NetBSD-compatible port.

Here are the URLs:

NetBITS#012/18-Dec-97: http://www.netbits.net/
Opera Software: http://www.operasoftware.com/
Opera's discussion of the port effort:  =

http://www.operasoftware.com/alt_os.html

I have been trying Opera on the Windoze95 machines we have at work, and =

it seems quicker than Netscape or IE4.0.  That is just subjective, =

though.  I haven't done any rigorous testing.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way related to Opera Software, and do not =

stand to make any financial or other gain from this message.

BTW: Opera may be looking for Mac programmers now or RSN, if their web =

site is to be believed.

Cheers,

Sean.

                 T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com            TSSchulze@aol.com

=2E..determines to remain actively seized of the matter.