Subject: Re: Annoying People at FWB
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Tim Bessie <tbessie@eci.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/1997 10:45:47
At 09:09 PM 12/21/97 -0500, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
>I'm still curious  where you're having difficulty with it. My whole NetBSD
>setup was done with FWB's HDT 1.7.5, fairly outdated. Aparently mkfs had
>no trouble dealing with it then...& I just finished turning part of my
>swap partition into a /home directory (with 56 MB RAM, Idon't think I
>really needed the 66 MB swap). I no longer keep mkfs around, so I just
>went into NetBSD & newfs'd it. All worked great after modifying fstab.

>From what I remember, Mkfs allows me to make a filesystem on
a UNIX SVR4 type partition created by FWB HDT-PE.  However, the
Installer doesn't recognize it.  This is because the correct
bits in the partition map entry for the partition HDT created
don't have the bits set correctly for "A/UX Root" and "A/UX Root&Usr".
The type-string of the partition is, indeed, what it needs
("UNIX SVR4..." something like that).  However, the rest of the
partition entry flags do not match the textual type.

_That_ is the problem.  Mkfs can set the bits correctly FOR me.
I am just annoyed that, after paying $60.00 for FWB (after being
told by one of their Tech Support people that "Yes, it can create
A/UX partitions"), finding that it doesn't do EVERYTHING it's
supposed to.  According to FWB's documentation, it works for
creating "MkLinux" partitions -- I'm assuming MkLinux isn't as
picky as NetBSD, and only looks at the 'type' string, not caring
about the partition map entry flags.

- Tim

Tim Bessie
tbessie@eci.net