Subject: Re: slotman kernel incompatable with rasterops 24STV
To: David <dfbills@syr.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/1997 02:41:24
I'd really be interested in how you arrived at this conclusion, since the
SLOTMAN kernel doesn't really care what identifiers (assuming you mean the
HWDev and/or SWDev fields in the identification ROM) are there.

As for your previous report, the fact that you see your card's start-up
logo is _good_ news - this occurs as part of the nubus initialization
code.  Since you seem to get 3 "little screens" I'd be willing to guess
that you booted up with the card in 24-bit mode.  Try it in 8-bit mode and
see what happens.

No matter what happens, we're more likely to be able to help you out if
you provide us with a bit more detail about what you tried, what it did or
did not do, and your environment.

On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, David wrote:

> After fiddling around for a few hours, I figured out that the slotman
> kernel is crashing on boot due to an unknown identifier on the video card.
> I'm now attemping to use the video_lkm_combined.o file with teh general
> kernel to see if that will work.
>

> -->David out.
> David F. Bills                            Newton Intelligence
> Syracuse University                      hotline://ni.syr.edu
> dfbills@syr.edu                       http://bounce.to/ni
>                Maxwell School: Policy Studies
>                 http://web.syr.edu/~dfbills

| Paul Goyette       | Public Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Consultant |  0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker  |  E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |