Subject: Re: Some newbie questions
To: Peter Koch <koch@pz.pirmasens.de>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/1997 19:26:37
Hi.

koch@pz.pirmasens.de (Peter Koch) wrote:

Peter> Hi!  It wasn't in the FAQ, so i wanna ask my
Peter> questions here...

Wasn't?  I don't think so...

Peter> I've installed NetBSD-1.3_BETA on my MacIIvx a week
Peter> ago and i got some quirks, which annoy me and perhaps
Peter> someone does have a workaround.

Peter> 1. I use MacOS 7.5.5 to boot up. It is installed on a
Peter> second disk.  NetBSD lives on the first disk. But the
Peter> Booter (1.11.1) does not come to the point, where the
Peter> screen clears and the kernel starts, but hangs. The
Peter> only workaround is to hold down the Shift-key and
Peter> disable the Extensions completely.

What do you mean by 'hang'?  Are you using non-stnadard
software (extentions, control panels, etc.) or hardware?
Some of them are incompatible with NetBSD.  Did your set VM
to off and 32bit mode on and reboot it?  Did you clear PRAM
by pressing Cmd-Opt-p-r when rebooting?

Peter> 2. There and then, NetBSD shows a SCSI-error on the
Peter> console. The messages are quite frequent, if the
Peter> machine accesses the disk a lot. The messages vary,
Peter> but the last line always reads:

Peter> 	unexpected phase change.

Ok, what SCSI drive and driver you use?  Some drives don't
like NCR driver.  Did you try SBC driver?  Btw, I had been
experienced some troubles with Quantum Lightning 730S on
both driver.

Peter>    Last evening, the machine crashed into the
Peter> debugger after such a message. It had an uptime of 7
Peter> days then.

What message did you get?  Did you try the trace command?

Peter> 3. NetBSD-1.3 is WAY slower on the Mac than on a
Peter> Sun3. My IIvx does have a 68030 at 33 MHz and 8 MB of
Peter> memory, but my two Sun3's (one 68030 at 24 MHz, one
Peter> 68020 at 20 MHz) are MUCH more zippier. Ok, they have
Peter> 12 MB of memory, but does this

Peter>    explain such a vast slowdown?

Mac IIvx has a 33MHz MPU, but its motherboard clockspeed is
16MHz.

Peter>    Or is the Mac hardware THAT BAD?

Peter>    I can't believe my benchmark results... The Mac is
Peter> slower, even on CPU-intensive jobs?!?

Increasing the memory may help speed.  Do you running X?

Peter> P.S.: Isn't NetBSD a wonderful thing?

Yes, it is.  It's vary stable, cool modern OS.

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.or.jp>
Happy Hacking!