Subject: Some newbie questions
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Koch <koch@pz.pirmasens.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/22/1997 09:38:59
Hi!

It wasn't in the FAQ, so i wanna ask my questions here...

I've installed NetBSD-1.3_BETA on my MacIIvx a week ago and i got some
quirks, which annoy me and perhaps someone does have a workaround.

1. I use MacOS 7.5.5 to boot up. It is installed on a second disk.
   NetBSD lives on the first disk. But the Booter (1.11.1) does not
   come to the point, where the screen clears and the kernel starts,
   but hangs. The only workaround is to hold down the Shift-key and
   disable the Extensions completely.
   Of course, this means, that i can't type "reboot" remotely.
   Is there any way to get rid of MacOS completely? Boot NetBSD
   directly? Has someone tried this?
2. There and then, NetBSD shows a SCSI-error on the console. The
   messages are quite frequent, if the machine accesses the disk
   a lot. The messages vary, but the last line always reads:
	unexpected phase change.
   Last evening, the machine crashed into the debugger after
   such a message. It had an uptime of 7 days then.
3. NetBSD-1.3 is WAY slower on the Mac than on a Sun3. My IIvx
   does have a 68030 at 33 MHz and 8 MB of memory, but my two
   Sun3's (one 68030 at 24 MHz, one 68020 at 20 MHz) are MUCH
   more zippier. Ok, they have 12 MB of memory, but does this
   explain such a vast slowdown?
   Or is the Mac hardware THAT BAD?
   I can't believe my benchmark results... The Mac is slower,
   even on CPU-intensive jobs?!?

Bye

Peter

P.S.: Isn't NetBSD a wonderful thing?