Subject: Re: cdrom@scsi#5 not configured...
To: Marc Coevoet <marc.coevoet@skynet.be>
From: Armen Babikyan <synapse@lethargy.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/21/1997 16:59:18
NetBSD/mac68k (and maybe NetBSD in general) does not assign device numbers
based on SCSI ID, just by order they come in on a SCSI chain. for
instance, a NetBSD box with root partition SCSI ID #4 would be mounted as
/dev/sd0, but if a drive with SCSI ID #2 was added, the new drive would be
/dev/sd0, and the #4 would be /dev/sd1. similarly, your cd drive would be
/dev/cd0, no matter what SCSI ID it is, because you only have 1 CD drive
attached.

The only use of this "feature" (that I can see) would be to be able to
boot a NetBSD machine without having to know or assign what drive is
on what device number, as labeled in /etc/fstab on linux systems; the
machine just mounts the first numbered SCSI device it comes on in the
chain (which is, on many macs, 0).

of course, this system isn't foolproof; maybe a feature to edit /etc/fstab
and use the linux system of booting could be used in the future...i don't
know.

anyway, your cd drive is /dev/cd0.

later,

  - a