Subject: getting to color X,,,,today!
To: Chris Jewell <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: wb2oyc <WB2OYC@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/20/1997 07:36:44
Chris,

     I know this getting X to run in color on NetBSD is more of a
challenge than it should be, since I've recently gone thru it myself.
But, I really think you're off in the wrong direction here, in spite
of the attempts by some to "help"!  Its far easier, to use a SLOTMAN
kernel, the old X, and the server I use is that dated 960512 I think
it is (the file Xmacbsd.960512.gz).  This eliminates the lkm, since
the kernel itself includes the support for color, there is no need to
use the lkm.  The Xserver (Xmacbsd) goes in the /usr/X11R6/bin and
you may need to link it to 'X', I can't remember if I had to do that
or not.  It probably isn't neccessary to do it by creating the link
since all macbsd X server's are named Xmacbsd, and there will be a
link already there linking that file to 'X' which is the way X lets
you determine which Xserver you want to use.

     If you do it this way, the challenge is finding the proper X distr!
The one that works for me is X.11Mar95.tgz.  That will work fine with
any kernel, including the very latest, so thats not a problem.  I did
this here, and didn't have to compile anything or any of that nonsense.
The newer X11 distribution won't work, in color, unless you do the other
stuff.  Using this older distribution is the easiest way to do it at
the moment, IMHO.

>Okay,  I installed X11R6 and I know that it doesn;t work in color.  So Ken
>Kata (forgive the spelling), one of the list members, said he had a color
>server.  I downloaded it but, where do I put it so that X11R6 uses that

yeah, I tried his server too, but it didn't work for me....thats what led
me to using the SLOTMAN which, as I said above, also eliminates the need
to use the lkm thing-a-ma-bob.  It just isn't required.  The lkm allows
you
to load into the kernel routines  that support color.  Since SLOTMAN
has it builtin, you needn't worry about it; its already there!

>srever?  Also, which files do I need to use?  As per the e-mail posting we
>only need to use thoise in the hw/macbsd folder.  Howvere, those files are

Yep, see what you're into now?  Its all very unneccessary and you're
spinnin' your wheels here, getting more frustrated every day.

>all uncompiled, do I need to compile them?  If so what do I use?  I tried
>to follow the README instuctions but that don't work.  Please anyone that

Get these files, install them, and run it (in color)!

- SLOTMAN (I've used #136 and #152; either are late 1.3_Alpha)
- Xmacbsd.960512.gz  (the Xserver)
- X.11Mar95.tgz   (the "old" X distribution)

and, you'll probably want to get these too:

- libXpm-3.4g-bin11.tar.gz
- fvwm-1.24l......

Now, on my system, I do have to do this before attempting to startx or
it won't find the libraries it needs....yes, I know I can edit the
ld.so.conf or whatever its called, but it doesn't exist on my system
for some reason....probably because I didn't install comp, but I'm not
certain of that.

# ldconfig -m /usr/X11R6/lib
# ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib

Now, run your X in color and enjoy!