Subject: Re: Newbie help, please!!!!
To: Chris Jewell <jewell@jewellce.es.dupont.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/19/1997 14:43:47
Chris Jewell wrote:

>      I realize that all of you are probably experts at all of this stuff
> and my question may sound stupid to you but, bear in mind I started using
> this to LEARN it.

That's ok.  NetBSD is a _great_ platform on which to learn.

>      Anyways, I have installed X11R6 and it doe not work under color.  So,
> as per the e-mail from Ken Kata, I down loaded his color server.  In his
> e-mail he says all you need is those files in hw/macbsd.  How do I compile
> these?  Do I have to compile these?  If not where do I put thses files.
> His e-mail says to put them in (X-ROOT)/xc/programs/Xserver but I have no
> such directory.
>      Please, I am begging for help.  I know I sound stupid but, if someone
> could help me I might be able to get over it.  Please, respond to me
> directly and don't post to the group.  This way we will not annoy anyone
> else with my stupid questions.

Don't worry, you don't sound stupid.  I asked a similar question the
other night ;-)

I'll give the long answer in a minute (where you truly might learn
something ;-)

However, the short answer (i.e. to get color X working now as opposed to
days or weeks from now ;-) is to download the NetBSD/mac68k 1.2 X
distribution and Ken's color X server (the server can be found on
ftp.macbsd.com) and install them.  This combination should work for you,
assuming that you have a supported NuBus video card (onboard color video
does _not_ work) and either a SLOTMAN kernel or the colorkit LKM,
currently available at

ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/contrib/incoming/ender

Ok, now, for the longer answer (that'll somewhat explain Ken's statement):

The file that Ken posted about are the changes he made to the original
X11R6.3 Xmacbsd X server.  We are now using XFree86 code for the current
Xmac68k server.  You would have to download all of the xsrc.tgz
distribution (which is about 30MB compressed, I think), uncompress it (I
have no idea how big this is), figure out how to merge Ken's changes into
the current Xmac68k server, and then recompile the X server.

I'm planning on attempting this sometime soon, but I'll be on vacation all
next week, so it'll be at least a week and a half before I get around to
this.  If you're willing to work on this, feel free to try it, but it
might be a bit of work for someone unused to compiling large C programs.

I hope this explains things a bit.

Later.