Subject: Re: Mosaic again and other questions
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Condon <david@apk.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/18/1997 23:58:17
I installed the latest lesstif as of a couple weeks ago, the jpeg, png and
z libs, and after some minor edits as suggested earlier got Mosaic 2.7b5
to compile. When run, it can't get all the way through loading the NCSA
home page, freezes up, and in the xterm it was started from I get
X Error:
Major Opcode: 33
It stays frozen and has to be killed.

The code that generates this message is found in src/gui.c. I am using the
video_lkm_combined.o and the 960512 color X server, and have tried this both
with twm and fvwm2 (the latter, by the way was a trouble-free compile and
it and all other X apps I have tried so far work excellently). The Amiga
binary for Mosaic-2.7b3 works well too.

Anybody know what causes this error?

I also tried mMosaic, it built successfully, but it also freezes up and
(this is weird) does not seem to understand the -geometry flag, which is
pretty necessary on my 640x480 monitor.

Other questions: about Xmodmap. I understand that the hard-coded
default is option+uparrow and option+downarrow activate the extra mouse
buttons, and that is possible to change this behavior. I already overrode
it to get my up and down arrow keys back, but how to program another key
combination for the mouse buttons? What I mean is, if I knew just what
the default mapping is, I could figure out how to override it: is
option+downarrow equal to Mod1, and Mod1 + Button1 = Button2, or what?
I would like to use Caps Lock, which seems like an obvious choice. Then
the third button could be Caps Lock +option -- possible?

Some of the 3-button mice that work with MRG don't work with the HWDIRECT
method kernels. Are there any that didn't work before that do with HWDIRECT?

Thanks!

--
        "I'd say you people already suffer from full denial."
                                                -- Special Agent Mulder