Subject: Re: Modem probs/other unix's?
To: wb2oyc <WB2OYC@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/18/1997 01:27:26
wb2oyc wrote:

> >Yep. And unfortunately they are going to have to reproduce a great deal
> >of our work from scratch. Though that's not too bad since a fresh
> >perspective may be a good thing. Our code is quite old.
> >
> Yeah, seemed to me a really ambitious effort, especially since its so hard
> to get info when needed from Apple...I mean, you guys have worked miracles
> as it is to be honest, and they're gonna try to do the same...but they
> should learn a great deal from what you've done with NetBSD.

Well, technically, unless they "clean room" it, they can't learn a whole
lot from MacBSD (other than that it's hard).

> >To give them a hand I'm going to try and document what I'm doing separately
> >so that people with licensing problems can use my info. That should be
> >quite a boost as they seem to have early alpha versions of SCSI, serial,
> >and ADB for the II's.
> >
> Cool!  I suspect they've been able to make good use of quite a bit so far.
> Otherwise, they wouldn't have gotten as far as they have so quickly.

No, anything they've done, they've probably had to do entirely on their
own.  BSD and Linux have rather incompatible licensing terms which would
prevent any kind of code sharing.

Later.