Subject: Re: 16-grey X11 (Was Re: Video mode change)
To: None <tbessie@eci.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/17/1997 17:12:16
On Wed, 17 Dec 1997 07:34:07 -0800,
Tim Bessie <tbessie@eci.net> wrote:

> You've said in the past that X11 (at least as you've got it
> running) can't deal with 16-greys (it's either 256 colors or
> B&W).  Is that a limitation of X11 itself, or of the Mac
> drivers it's using?

This is a limitation of this particular implementation of X server.
Right now, our official X server supports only B&W.

But I guess you could say it is a limitation of NetBSD/mac68k device
drivers, since there was really no choice given lack of adequate
driver support.

A few people have worked (and a couple of them are still working) on
color support in the kernel.  I've done a little work on the color X
server.  My color server doesn't support 16 grayscale and it's been
reported that it doesn't work with the current X binaries, though.

Maybe one of those days...

Ken