Subject: Re: 16-grey X11 (Was Re: Video mode change)
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Tim Bessie <tbessie@eci.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/17/1997 13:08:39
At 03:12 PM 12/17/97 -0500, you wrote:
>> You've said in the past that X11 (at least as you've got it
>> running) can't deal with 16-greys (it's either 256 colors or
>> B&W).  Is that a limitation of X11 itself, or of the Mac
>> drivers it's using?  Does it take control of the video hardware
>> directly, or use your internal video code through system calls?
>
>It's actually a limitation of the server. The color servers you
>can get now only have code to deal with 1 bit and 8 bit mode.
>16 bit mode actually shouldn't be too hard to add.
>
>As far as the hardware drivers go, they can switch to any depth
>the hardware is capable of. We simply don't have any code besides
>the console code that makes any use of 2 bit and 4 bit mode.

Do you mean to say that the console driver knows how to manipulate
the display hardware to use 2 and 4 bit modes?  When does it do
that? (I've only started using the intvid console, as Takashi just
made available his fix for the PB180 -- amazing what that guy can
do using MacsBug... I think it'd drive me crazy trying to reverse
engineer code as he has).  I've only seen the console use 1-bit video.

>I'm hoping somebody is wise and makes a 4 bit mode version of dt
>so we can have a version of dt with ansi colors.

Again, do the X11 server and dt control the video display depth via
system calls, or do they open a file in /dev and send it video parameters,
or do they have their own drivers, and just map in the video control
registers?

- Tim

Tim Bessie
tbessie@eci.net