Subject: Re: Total Terminal Wierdness
To: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/17/1997 09:31:09

> Hi.
>
> I understand that the remote tset is setting parameters on my Mac that
> are keeping the screen messed up.
>
> What I don't understand is how this is happening.  If My local tset is
> initializing my Mac terminal to vt220 every time I log in, how come a
> remote tset using the same settings is messing it up?  Also, how come it
> isn't possible to reset the Mac terminal after logging out of the remote
> machine?

Hmm. Try vt100. I have a lot more success with it and dt. And the console
code seems similar. And I think the reset commands are different between
the two.

> How come no one every thoroughly documented all of this junk about
> terminals?  I've read the O'Reilly Termcap/Terminfo book, and it is
> really just a reference on those databases . . . Not much help with
> wierdo situations like this.

I think part of the problem is that different vendors have different ideas
about what a vt220 is, and than our console is not a "full" implimentation
of the standard (be it vt100 or vt220).

For instance, the vt100 has two modes, "presentation" and something else
("normal"?). The arrow codes change between the two! The Ultrix boxes
we have support one mode, and the MacOS terminal program I'm using and
our AIX box use the other. So the arrows never work right for me.

I'm trying to get at the fact that there was a lot of variability in
terminals, and vendors don't always support it consistantly. :-(

Good luck!

Take care,

Bill

P.S. off the cuff, it looks like 'printf "\033>"' will reset the internal
console.