Subject: Re: Several Questions: netatalk, router
To: Lee Larson <llarson@louisville.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/17/1997 09:12:43

> I just installed NetBSD/mac68K on a IIci. (1.3 BETA #52 12/6 16:29:17)
> I've got it working great when I log into it over my ethernet from a
> PowerBase running eXodus, VersaTerm or Anarchie.
>
> There are several questions the faq and other assorted web sites didn't
> answer unambiguously:
>
> (1) Does netatalk work in this version of the kernel? I've been trying to
> get it going, and I get the appropriate messages on booting, but the
> Chooser on the PowerBase can't see it. If not, is there another 1.3
> kernel on which it does work, or should I drop back to 1.2?

It should be. What kind of errors are you seeing? atalkd should be
logging lots of stuff. Also, what does your config file end up looking
like? Does nbplkup show the PowerBase?

> (2) Dialing up with PPP from home, I'd like to use the ci as a gateway
> for two other machines. Right now, I have a dynamically assigned IP
> number and am calling in at 33.6. Is the ci fast enough to handle the
> traffic? Are there instructions out on the 'Net for handling the IP
> routing between the PPP and the local machines so I don't need several
> fixed IP numbers from the ISP?

You want IPNat.  How fast is your modem? The IIci will probably handle
a 14.4 fine, and maybe a 28.8. The computer itself will handle up to
about 38400 w/o problem. For 57600, you'll want to use hardware flow control
(cdtrcts). For a modem that fast, it might be best to download big things
to the IIci and then ftp it to the PowerBase.

> (3) At startup sendmail holds up the proceedings with complaints about
> the machine name being unqualified. It eventually gives up and the login
> prompt appears. I've been through the setup files several times and
> cannot find any mistakes. What am I missing?

In /etc/rc.conf should be a line which enables sendmail. I think it's
sendmail, which you want to make NO.

Take care,

Bill