Subject: Re: Several Questions: netatalk, router
To: Lee Larson <llarson@louisville.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/17/1997 09:21:25
Lee Larson wrote:

> I just installed NetBSD/mac68K on a IIci. (1.3 BETA #52 12/6 16:29:17)
> I've got it working great when I log into it over my ethernet from a
> PowerBase running eXodus, VersaTerm or Anarchie.

Congrats!

> There are several questions the faq and other assorted web sites didn't
> answer unambiguously:
>
> (1) Does netatalk work in this version of the kernel? I've been trying to
> get it going, and I get the appropriate messages on booting, but the
> Chooser on the PowerBase can't see it. If not, is there another 1.3
> kernel on which it does work, or should I drop back to 1.2?

Netatalk support is in the 1.3 _kernel_, but you'll still need to grab a
copy of the userland binaries (they aren't included in the NetBSD
distribution) and install and configure them apropriately.  This support
was added in 1.2-current, so a 1.2 kernel would _not_ work.

> (2) Dialing up with PPP from home, I'd like to use the ci as a gateway
> for two other machines. Right now, I have a dynamically assigned IP
> number and am calling in at 33.6. Is the ci fast enough to handle the
> traffic? Are there instructions out on the 'Net for handling the IP
> routing between the PPP and the local machines so I don't need several
> fixed IP numbers from the ISP?

I think you could check out IPNAT (it's a capability of the IP-Filter
subsystem).  I believe it should do what you want.  There should be
several man pages on it. As for the speed of the IIci, yes, I think it's
fast enough to act as a gateway, but it might still seem slow, since
you're adding additional latency to the rather large latency of the modem
connection.

> (3) At startup sendmail holds up the proceedings with complaints about
> the machine name being unqualified. It eventually gives up and the login
> prompt appears. I've been through the setup files several times and
> cannot find any mistakes. What am I missing?

What does your /etc/hosts look like?  I think you usually get this message
if the canonical entry for your host doesn't start with a FQDN (fully
qualified domain name).  Something like:

10.0.0.1	yourhost.yourdomain.org yourhost

instead of just

10.0.0.1	yourhost

Also.  You might want to make sure that your machine properly sets its own
hostname and domain name at boot time (i.e. either set the apropriate
lines in /etc/rc.conf, or else create /etc/myname and /etc/defaultdomain
with the proper contents.

I hope this helps some.

Later.